Basically Web services mitigate the application integration crisis. It helps integrating applications at a significantly lower price point than any other integration technology.
It’s a new kind of middleware based on XML and the Web. XML and the Web help solve the challenges associated with traditional application-to-application integration like heterogeneity. They are platform and language independent.
Web Services has following advantages:
- Exposing your API onto a network Connecting Different Applications
- Low Cost of communication
- Support for Loosely Coupled Applications
- Web Services are Self Describing using WSDL
- Automatic Discovery using UDDI
- Business Opportunity to grow your business