The Java programming language is robust and versatile, enabling developers to:
- Write software on one platform and run it on another.
- Create programs to run within a web browser.
- Develop server-side applications for online forums, stores, polls, processing HTML forms, and more.
- Write applications for cell phones, two-way pagers, and other consumer devices.
It's no wonder the Java platform attracts so many new developers.
What do you need to get started? Which Java technology should you use? This collection of links to articles, tutorials, online books, and software downloads helps you find what you need to start writing applications.
- Step-1 Java Platform Overview: A general introduction to the Java platform.
- Step-2 Getting Started: How to set up the Java platform on your computer.
- Step-3 Step-by-Step Programming: Learn the basics of the Java programming language, or learn by specific technologies.
- Step-4 Review What You've Learned: Test your Java programming knowledge with these online interactive quizzes and puzzles.
- Costumized - Learning Paths: Get a short, customized learning path, based on your programming experience.
- Library - References & Resources: A collection of references and resources to use for Java development.
- Professionals - Certification and Courses Links to information on taking Sun's courses and getting certified as a Java programmer, developer, or architect.
Source: New to Java Center