VAInstall is a multi-platform installer written in Java. It is distributed under the GNU GPL License 2.
Through a simple config file, it allows the packager to pick files and directories from various places on disk, and not only one root dir like other installers. The packager can completely reorganize the files and dirs on the destination host. He can choose the install mode for the destination host (graphic, xtra, text or ansi).
VAInstall takes minimum space on the destination host: it does not write any large temporary file on disk, and supports easy and powerful uninstallation.Features
VAInstall has many features that miss other Java installers.
- Multi-platform installation of applications (Java or not), or other data
- 6 formats possible for the auto-installable packaged archive: executable Java class, executable Jar, JavaWebStart Jnlp, Windows exe, Linux-i386 exe and Unix/Linux executable sh script.
- Easy uninstall process
- Version control: upgrades apps from existing versions or installs new versions
- Forced-update mode: for differential updates or module/plug-in installation in existing apps
- Four possible user-interfaces: graphic-classic, graphic-xtra, text-only or coloured ansi text
- Easy configuration: a config file and a file listing
- Powerful archiving: you can archive files from different locations, and reorganize them as you want in your auto-install archive.
- Java launch scripts generation
- Windows registry management
- Shortcuts generation (for Debian/Gnome targets only)
- Support for choosable language during installation
- Has an Ant task for integration with the build tool Ant from Apache