Packlet is a simple installer tool for Java. A packlet is similar to a zip or tgz file: it packages an application into a single compressed file that can be distributed. Packlet files are Java class files that can be executed on any machine with Java 2 Runtime Environment installed. Executing a packlet brings up an installer gui to configure and unpack the application. Packlet was inspired by LiftOff and VAInstall.
- Generates self-extracting Java class files.
- bzip2 compression.
- Swing-based installer GUI.
- Checksum to detect corrupted files.
- Environment check on the target machine.
- Adjust text file encoding and line separator to target machine.
- Template mechanism to generate launch scripts.
- Set executable flags.